Senior Software Engineer/Java Developer
· Are you a Software Engineer / Java Developer that is passionate about innovation?
· Do you want to work with, and learn from encouraging, talented digital innovators?
· Are you seeking to join a business that is investing into building teams in Sheffield?
Life in our Digital Teams
Over the past 2 years Aviva has been on one of the most visionary digital transformation journeys of any company within Financial Services and we continue to move towards being a “Digital First” organization. We have built bespoke digital spaces for our teams in our London Digital Garage, Norwich, Bristol, and Sheffield.
Insurance is ripe for disruption and that is what we have been doing. In fact, we are a 320 year old disruptor that is transforming the way customers engage with our products and services.
We approach software delivery with an Agile mind-set; passionate about delivering small, value-driven improvements, regularly and often. Our collaborative scrum teams are made up of an exceptional mix of digital experts and innovators from a wide range of industries. We craft brand new experiences, small changes to existing products as well as investing in maintaining our existing products.
We are now looking for a Senior Software Engineer/Java Developer to join the Integration and API team within our Digital organisation, working within one of our scrum teams to build and maintain the RESTful APIs that will underpin both ours and our partners’ digital applications
You will be responsible for:
- The creation of high-quality RESTful APIs within a specific business domain
- Owning the delivery of the API product from engagement with key partners through to the estimation of delivery, build and test
- Supporting & sharing standard methodology with teams
- Evangelise and lead the way on crafting a culture of innovation with focus given to APIs support this
- Leading, Supporting and Mentoring our Junior Engineers
We’re particularly interested in talking to people with:
- Technical expertise in Java Development and associated frameworks (JUnit, Cucumber, Jenkins, Spring, Maven)
- Any hands on experience of developing with RedHat FUSE, Apache ServiceMix or Apache Camel.
- Hands on experience of designing, building and supporting RESTful APIs
- Experience of modern software engineering practices include Continuous Delivery
- Strong experience of server side Java development and associated concerns (e.g. thread management, database access, ORM, security)
- Experience of working in large teams with a shared codebase, and designing & building for maintainability
If you have experience within Financial Services, or regulated environments, then that’s great. But did you know, we also encourage people to join us from outside of the industry too? The diversity in our teams is, in our opinion, is what makes Aviva an interesting and innovative place to be.
- 29 days' holiday plus bank holidays
- Competitive on target performance bonus
- Up to 14% Company contribution to your pension
- Equal parental leave for all parents (up to a year)
- Flexible working opportunities
- Aviva flexible benefits
- Employee discounts
- Season ticket loan
- Share scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Jack Jones in the Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org