T Shaped Engineer
- Are you a Software Engineer / Java Developer that is passionate about automation and integration?
- Do you have an inclusive testing mindset, or have you started your career as a technical tester and are looking to learn more Java and gain development expertise?
- Do you want to work with, and learn from encouraging, talented digital innovators?
- Are you seeking to join a business that is investing into building teams in Sheffield?
Life in our Digital Teams
Over the past 2 years Aviva has been on one of the most visionary digital transformation journeys of any company within Financial Services and we continue to move towards being a “Digital First” organization. We have built bespoke digital spaces for our teams in our London Digital Garage, Norwich, Bristol, and Sheffield.
Insurance is ripe for disruption and that is what we have been doing. In fact, we are a 320 year old disruptor that is transforming the way customers engage with our products and services.
We approach software delivery with an Agile mind-set; passionate about delivering small, value-driven improvements, regularly and often. Our collaborative scrum teams are made up of an exceptional mix of digital experts and innovators from a wide range of industries. We craft brand new experiences, small changes to existing products as well as investing in maintaining our existing products.
We are looking for people with a DevOps mindset to join the Integration and API team within our Digital organisation, working within one of our scrum teams to build, test and maintain the RESTful APIs that will underpin both ours and our partners’ digital applications
You will be responsible for:
- The creation, maintenance, testing and support of high-quality RESTful APIs within a specific business domain
- Owning the delivery of the API product from engagement with key partners through to the estimation of delivery, build and test
- Supporting & sharing standard methodology with other teams
- Engaging with project teams to ensure that Acceptance Criteria for incoming stories meet all quality requirements - e.g. logging, error messages, unhappy path testing as well as functional testing
- Highlighting blockers impacting scrum team functional and non-functional testing and either owning resolution or requesting they are mitigated/called out as appropriate
- Ensuring the relevant Project Partner/Test Manager/Platform Quality Manager is kept informed of your workload
We’re particularly interested in talking to people with:
- Some technical expertise in Java Development and associated frameworks (JUnit, Cucumber, Jenkins, Spring, Maven)
- Experience defining Feature Files and implementing step definitions using Java, Cucumber
- Any hands on experience of developing with RedHat FUSE, Apache ServiceMix or Apache Camel.
- Hands on experience of testing, designing, building and supporting RESTful APIs
- Experience of modern software engineering practices include Continuous Delivery
- Experience of working in large teams with a shared codebase, and designing, testing & building for maintainability
Like us, first and foremost, you will be passionate about the customer, with a real drive to improve products and how our customers engage with us digitally. We will support you to challenge the status quo where necessary; in fact we positively encourage it. You will enjoy the agile working environment and be given the autonomy to do you role to the best of your ability. Working in collaborative teams, you will support your colleagues and you will receive the same in return.
As a business, we want people to have a realistic work-life balance, so if you have personal commitments that might make a standard 9-5 job a challenge, we are advocates for flexible working.
‘Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty’
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Jack Jones in the Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org