IT is the key enabler for Aviva to achieve its strategy. A really strong, innovative and forward-looking IT function is the cornerstone of our challenge to disrupt the industry and fulfil our digital ambitions.
The pace of change here is fast. There are numerous opportunities to develop and implement new, innovative ways to support the business through brilliant technology solutions.
Come and join our team: you’ll have loads of opportunity for personal development, you’ll be well-supported by our leaders across IT whilst working on awesome, challenging and innovative work.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Please view this short video from our Group CIO Marta Zarraga, to understand why getting a diverse mix of people in tech teams is important.
Background to the role:
Solution Architects are accountable for crafting end-to-end solutions for key initiatives, projects and feature teams for Aviva UK and Group. Operating as part of the Global Architecture team, the Solution Architects are passionate about driving, improving and promoting the process and delivery of Architecture across the organisation.
As a Solution Architect, you will:
- Define end-to-end solutions for IT change.
- Build designs that are fit for purpose from a functional, non-functional, service, and security point of view.
- Deliver solutions that progress and improve the overall architecture journey and are aligned to Aviva’s IT Strategy.
- Align with standards, design approaches and governance.
Key aspects of the role:
Solutions and Assurance:
- You will craft and build solutions for projects which meet Aviva’s standards for technology and ensure they meet our ambitions for availability, security, resilience and performance.
- Support the crafting of design options with associated costs, benefits and risks to enable investment decisions.
- Solution Architects interact and collaborate with product owners, architects, development teams and other project colleagues to agree trade-offs between long-term and short term goals.
- You will be responsible for supporting the integrity of the end-to-end technical solution, including transition states used to achieve the target state.
- You will help to shape and estimate IT initiatives and feature team sprints, ensuring that component parts deliver against business outcomes.
- You’ll provide technical direction and where appropriate leadership, on key designs to ensure the long term strategic goals of Aviva IT are met as well as short term project needs.
- Ensure design artefacts are produced to support service, security, architecture and engineering.
- Peer review the design artefacts of others.
- You will provide coaching, mentoring and training to less experienced Solution Architects as required.
Design Community Leadership:
- You’ll be passionate about contributing to the Solution Architecture community across Aviva Group, leading on or participating in initiatives to improve Aviva’s approach to design.
- Develop your technical skills to support Aviva’s need to understand and exploit emerging technology trends.
- Problem Solving and Change:
- Recommend design solutions or ideas in response to challenges faced by your project or feature team in line with policy, process and other guidelines.
- Responsible for recommending change based on excellent know how and analysis.
Experience / Skills Required:
- Excellent design skills.
- Strong knowledge of end to end project lifecycle methodologies (mainly agile).
- Strong technical experience. This may be broad experience with the ability to apply it across a variety of customer and business scenarios; or strong domain specialisms to maximise the benefit of technology in key areas e.g. Infrastructure, Business Intelligence, Pensions.
- Financial acumen to support development of business cases and to inform key design decisions.
- Ability to balance long-term direction and necessary short term goals.
- Good social skills with the ability to provide technical guidance to peers and project colleagues.
- Strong personal impact and influence.
- Good stakeholder and relationship management.
- Leadership skills or the aptitude to develop these skills.
What will you get for this role?
- Salary up to £45,000 + 8% on target annual bonus.
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme.
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review.
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days.
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family.
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme.
As a disability confident employer we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability, (As defined in the The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential).
Please apply through the website and then notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Lacey Lane Mckoy (email@example.com) in the Resourcing team.