Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to solve the problems of the futures?
Within CSA Catapult we look beyond the status quo. We look to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security. These developments will be underpinned by Compound Semiconductor (CS) technologies.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We are small but undergoing rapid growth and so we need to expand our RF and Microwave team with an individual to work in a multi-disciplinary team, on a range of R&D projects in Microwave and RF.
1. Work as part of the technical team to define and deliver internal and external work-packages and projects.
2. Provide detailed technical documentation for internal and external stakeholders.
3. Define and adhere to work specifications.
4. Attend and contribute to project and design reviews.
5. Support junior members of the technical team.
6. Interact with the other engineering functions of power electronics, optical and advanced packaging to deliver cross functional work-packages and projects.
7. Keep abreast of the latest industry developments
About you; you will have
* The successful candidate will be a specialist in at least one of the following areas:
o Semiconductor Device Physics and/or Modelling
o MMIC Design/RF IC design
o Antenna design and measurement
o RF/ Microwave systems engineering
* Degree in relevant science, engineering or related discipline to good Honours level is essential, with evidence of continuing study desirable.
* Industrial experience with proven ability to deliver complex projects or work-packages
* Industrially proven analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to quickly understand complex issues and to propose solutions.
* Excellent team working skills with the ability to work collaboratively and co-operatively with colleagues.
* Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to ensure effective communication with a wide range of technical stakeholders.
* Good working knowledge of RF EDA tools, in particular experience in either Keysight ADS or National Instruments Microwave Office would be beneficial
* Knowledge of advanced telecom standards
* Measurement and characterisation of RF/Microwave devices and circuits
* Programming for control of instrumentation and data processing
* Hands on electronics experience, circuit design, soldering, circuit debugging
* Experience of working in a ‘new start’ organisation would be helpful but is not essential
Behaviours and attributes
Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment.
Able to translate technical jargon and processes into something accessible.
A team player; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description.
Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal.
Tenacious and versatile; you’re excited at the idea of multiple projects.
Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time, though overnighting is likely very minimal.
What do we offer?
* Up to £50,000 salary (FTE).
* Staff bonus scheme.
* 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions.
* Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey.
* Payment for a professional membership each year.
* Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you.
* Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%.
* 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays.
* Holiday carryover.
* Private medical insurance for you and your family
* Life Assurance
* A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with.