Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to solve the problems of the future?
Within CSA Catapult we look beyond the status quo. We look to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security. These developments will be underpinned by Compound Semiconductor (CS) technologies.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We are small but undergoing rapid growth and so we need to expand our Power Electronics team with an individual to work in a multi-disciplinary environment on a range of R&D projects in power electronics.
- Design, modelling, simulation, assembly and test of power electronic systems.
- Evaluate circuit topologies that optimise converter power efficiency and power density to demonstrate the benefits of using SiC and GaN devices.
- Evaluate candidate power conversion topologies using circuit modelling and simulation.
- Create PCB designs to optimise electromagnetic and thermal performance.
- Support the activities of the power electronics team as well as collaborate with the other engineering functions of Advanced Packaging, RF/Microwave and Photonics to deliver cross functional projects.
- Technical reporting to project team and wider audience to demonstrate regular progress.
About you; you will have:
- Master’s degree/PhD level qualification within power electronics
- Power electronics design experience
- Experience in multi-discipline engineering activities including package / PCB / mechanical and software design
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent team working skills with the ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with colleagues
- Automotive power electronics design experience
- Systems engineering approach to projects
- 8D problem solving methodology
- Embedded systems control
- Familiar with engineering lifecycle management
- History of translating research output into working prototypes
- Skilled in EDA / PCB design / embedded programming
Behaviours and attributes
- Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment
- Able to translate technical jargon and processes into something accessible
- A team player; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description. Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal
- Tenacious and versatile; you’re excited at the idea of multiple projects
- Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time, though overnighting is likely very minimal
What do we offer?
- Up to £50,000 salary (FTE)
- Staff bonus scheme
- 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions
- Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey
- Payment for a professional membership each year
- Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you
- Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%
- 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays
- Holiday carryover
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Life Assurance
- A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with