The role can be based in Norwich, Bristol, Perth, York, London or Sheffield.
IT is the key enabler for Aviva to achieve its strategy. A really strong, innovative and forward-looking IT function is the cornerstone of our challenge to disrupt the industry and fulfil our digital ambitions.
The pace of change here is fast. There are numerous opportunities to develop and implement new, innovative ways to support the business through brilliant technology solutions.
Come and join our team: you’ll have loads of opportunity for personal development and our leaders across IT will support you on awesome, challenging and innovative work.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Please view this short video from our Group CIO Marta Zarraga, to understand why getting a diverse mix of people in tech teams is important.
At Aviva we are looking to transform the way in which we engage with our customers. Digital technology is key, and the adoption of agile methodologies is at the heart of our strategy. As Lead Solution Architect, you will be responsible for creation of end-to-end solution designs that drive this vision forward. You will also be part of a wider global architecture practice and will support, improve and promote the process and delivery of architecture (and its value) across the organisation.
You will be expected to:
- Be passionate about leading a team of solution architects to define end-to-end solutions for IT change programmes.
- Create end-to-end designs that are fit for purpose from a functional, non-functional, service, and security point of view.
- Deliver solutions that progress the overall architecture, align to Aviva’s IT Strategy and follow standards.
- Drive improvement in design quality.
Key aspects of the role:
Solutions and Assurance:
- Lead creation of solutions and design for projects to meet Aviva’s standards for technology and ensure they meet our ambitions for availability, security, resilience and performance.
- Perform early triage and shaping of IT initiatives to support investment decisions and initial delivery planning.
- Produce design options with associated costs, benefits and risks to enable investment decisions.
- Ensure compliance to policies, standards and target architecture. Represent area of accountability in all appropriate broader governance bodies and processes.
- Responsible for the integrity of end-to-end solutions, including transition states used to achieve target state.
- Provide leadership on key designs to ensure the long term strategic goals of Aviva IT are met as well as short term project needs.
- Approval of design artefacts of team members.
- Perform design reviews on key areas of the existing IT estate in support of wider initiatives to improve service, security and reduce estate complexity.
- Ensure design artefacts are produced to support service, security, architecture and engineering.
- Support and lead the business with creative ideas to improve the service we give to our customers.
- Coach and mentor team members to achieve the required design and architectural outcomes.
- Lead a team of c.10 direct reports.
- Accountable for people management decisions including recruitment, setting objectives, performance management, recommending reward and/or bonus.
- Member of the Solution Architecture Leadership Team.
- Expected to maintain strong links to technical teams across Aviva to share learning and ensure sharing of best practice.
- Able and willing to bring through the next generation of talent either within or outside of the team.
Experience / Skills Required:
- Excellent design and architecture skills.
- Experience of turning strategic direction into deliverable E2E solutions that drive IT Architecture forward.
- Strong knowledge of end to end project lifecycle methodologies (mainly agile).
- Strong technical experience. This role requires broad experience with the ability to apply it across a variety of customer and business scenarios. Experience in cloud technologies is advantageous (esp Amazon Web Services).
- The role holder will be passionate about technology and how to exploit it for the benefit of our customers.
- Financial acumen to support development of business cases and to inform key design decisions.
- Ability to anticipate future trends and needs as well as managing the current environment.
- Strong analytical capability and background.
- Ability to think long-term strategically and operationally.
- Strong personal impact and influence.
- Good stakeholder and relationship management at all levels.
- Experience of operating at senior management levels
- Leadership skills.
What will you get for this role?
- Salary of up to £100,000 in London or up to £80,000 non-London + 12% on target annual bonus.
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme.
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review.
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days.
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family.
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme.
As a disability confident employer we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability, (As defined in the The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website. and then notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Lacey Lane-Mckoy (email@example.com) in the Resourcing team.