Lead Software Engineer - Data
Aviva is revolutionising insurance and we want you to be at the forefront.
You’ll be joining Aviva at a really exciting time; working on a portfolio of products that reach out to 17 million customers and building new and innovative ways to engage and interact with new and existing customers. It’s never been more important for us to hire fantastic people into our digital teams who sit at the forefront of delivering our global strategy.
The Customer Data Team is at the centre of Aviva’s Global Digital journey; providing high quality, safe and accurate data about our customers. We are a rapidly evolving team, embarking upon a tremendously exciting strategy to bring Aviva’s Global Customer Data aspirations to life.
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join our Digital organisation, working within one of our teams to build and further evolve both new and existing products. You’ll sustain our culture of continuous improvement from a process and technical perspective, ensuring we adhere to good software engineering practices and helping to determine future practices and standards. You will be responsible for leading and mentoring a team of software engineers.
We’re particularly interested in Lead Software Engineers who ….
- are hands on
- have a proven record of leading technical deliveries from the front.
- have a strong technical and organisational problem solving ability and ability to deliver under pressure
- have experience in modern software engineering practices such as Test-Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development and Continuous Integration
- have solid experience of Agile Delivery methodologies and culture.
- have significant experience of object oriented development and a practical application of SOLID practices and design patterns
- have good experience of Java
- are experienced in Dev Ops
- have skills in graph database technologies
- design and build security into your applications, and understand the security threats and mitigation's that face modern applications
- continue to further enhance their skills through both self-directed learning and provided training tools
- have excellent communication skills
What you’ll do in more detail
You’ll be responsible for:
- Leading our development teams focused on shaping new products or features , and increasing the technical capability of our products to ensure they are the best fit for our customers
- Working with our software architecture team to contribute towards the improvement of coding standards and technical innovations to increase the quality and efficiency of delivery
- Providing technical expertise and collaborating with our teams across the Globe
- Leading our team of software engineers and mentoring less experienced team members
· Fostering team spirit and collaboration
· Engaging and contributing to the
- Ensure that the definition of technical components is good enough for a quality delivery from the team
- Ensure that the agile practices are balanced to ensure a good delivery.
- Be the go to person for the triage of technical issues
- Liaise effectively with understanding and tolerance with other areas of IT the delivery is dependant upon – CISO; Infrastructure oriented departments; data governance and support teams.
- Help supply planning values to help the wider business plan for the deployment of the product.
In return we offer:
· Competitive salary
· Generous defined contribution pension scheme
· Annual performance related bonus and pay review
· Minimum holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
· Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
· Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from anyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is to Care More. This is brought to life through the flexible ways we work. This may include working from home some of the time or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
As a disability confident employer we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability, (As defined in the The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website. and then notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Earl Daley in the Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org