Norwich or Perth
Salary: Dependent on experience + benefits and reward package
The purpose of the Developer
As a Developer you will be working with pricing and underwriting systems that are an integral part of Aviva’s Commercial Insurance solution. By using your expert knowledge and experience of software development you will help the team continue to deliver innovative and market leading solutions that support the goals and aspirations of the business.
The Developers roles include
- Providing estimates for projects and other software development work using industry standard project-management tools and methodologies
- Development of solutions that support the demands of the business, and integrity and security of the organisation’s systems
- Refactoring/redesigning areas of the systems to improve efficiency and reliability
- Managing errors, identifying the root cause and deploying fixes quickly, communicating via various methods to ensure progress is relayed to relevant parties in a clear and timely manner
- Working closely with internal Pricing and Underwriting teams, project managers and business analysts to implement enhancements to existing software and the creation of new software to support new systems and products
- Contribute to team-orientated projects and workstreams using a variety of methodologies, including Agile
The Developer would require the following experience/skills
- Ability to plan development changes and communicate potential problems, issues and risk areas associated with the changes
- Ability to produce work of high quality on a tight deadline
- Either previous programming/developing through experience (or degree with programming content) or proven problem solving and technical skills
- Proven excellent communication skills with ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of the business - both technical and non-technical personnel
Other desirable but not essential skills (full training will be given) include
- Previous experience in the insurance industry and an awareness of the Commercial market
- Prior experience of ProductWriter and exposure to Polaris and ABI standards
- Working in an agile environment using Kanban and/or Scrum
- MS Excel and MS Excel formulae
- MS Excel VBA
- Testing – automated and non-technical
What’s in it for the Developer
- This is a fantastic opportunity to join a professional, high quality and respectful environment where you’ll join passionate experts from a variety of backgrounds across all areas of the business
- The opportunity for a clear, personal learning and development plan that provides the frameworks and development solutions to ensure everyone has the opportunity to maximise their performance and progress
- The freedom to develop high quality solutions and see them through from inception to live delivery
- A generous salary and pension scheme, along with a wide range of flexible benefits and wellbeing initiatives
What will you get for this role?
- Competitive Salary
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Saima Akram in the Resourcing team on 0121 7791449.