London, Bristol, Perth, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow, Birmingham, York, Norwich, Eastleigh, Home Based Other, Dorking, Sheffield
Aviva’s cloud platform is a large scale global platform and the key enabler for the digital strategy.
This is a unique opportunity for a senior technologist to own and set the platforms strategic, architectural and technical direction. Innovation is at heart of this platform and it will continuously evolve to meet the business change, security and digital strategy.
The Head of Cloud Engineering must provide leadership, drive and focus in the delivery, evolution and development of Aviva’s strategic Cloud platform.
The position will drive the technical DevOps teams and will have a responsibility to ensure the platform is known, documented and aligned to good practise while developing the appropriate roadmaps to support the evolution and progress required to support Aviva’s business goals and growth.
What you’ll do in more detail
- Own the technical / architectural integrity and strategic roadmap of the global cloud platform and is accountable for successful delivery of the business/technical outcome
- Act as a Cloud evangelist across Aviva, helping people understand the benefits, challenges and implications of adopting cloud, and helping our teams move to cloud
- Build relationships & collaborate across the Aviva Architecture community to establish and implement consistent architecture across all Digital platforms which delivers Aviva’s future technology needs and approved by relevant governing bodies (Group Architecture Board, CISO, Data governance)
- Build relationships and collaborate with Aviva’s cloud platform “customers”.
- Communicate with senior stakeholders up to C level
- Actively communicate/collaborate with the DevOps scrum teams to ensure they are delivering to your requirements and goals.
- In part perform the task of Agile “Product Owner” for the cloud platform
- Join sprint planning and retrospectives, and prioritise the platform feature backlog.
- Understands the vision & articulates it to the team; the ‘why’, the business case, benefits, context, any constraints etc.
- Defines key features of the desired outcome and owns the Product Backlog
- Informs and agrees the incremental release strategy (including the MVP), and owns the overarching Release Plan
- Prioritises the order of delivery to maximise opportunities for learning and early value delivery to the business
- Collaborates with the team to generate, and continuously refine, the Product Backlog
- Ensures that the features/epics/stories in the Product Backlog are aligned to the business objectives
- Co-ordinates timely business input and decisions
- Accepts work (stories) as complete, responding in a timely manner, and providing feedback as appropriate
- Manages Stakeholders proactively and represents the project team to the business.
- Understands the big picture: the wider implications of any decisions made, and any Governance, compliance and regulatory responsibilities
- Ensures feedback and learning is obtained and utilised as early and often as possible
The successful candidate
You will no doubt have a breadth of great experience already, but we think to be successful in this role that we need someone who has:
- Really strong relevant technical background working with related infrastructure technologies.
- Proven experience working in a senior technology role (eg: technical/infrastructure/enterprise architect) within a public cloud environment (ideally with AWS) in a large enterprise environment
- Exposure / awareness of modern day programming languages
- Understanding of modern software development lifecycle and processes and tooling.
- Demonstrable understanding of PaaS/SaaS/IaaS and use cases and best practices in public cloud
- Proven awareness of the latest developments in today’s public cloud industry (AWS/Azure etc) and related industry benchmark/best practice projects.
- Proven track record working in agile environments under a DevOps culture
- Deep understanding of operating systems, network infrastructure, RDMS etc
- Capability to use configuration management tooling
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code software
- Exposure to automated testing tools
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration - Continuous Deployment pipelines
- Recognised proficiency with Amazon AWS services (e.g. VPC, EC2, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, RDS etc).
- Involvement leading project teams with Agile collaboration and project management tooling e.g Kanban or Scrum)
- Excellent planning and communication skills and able to lead conversations with development and product teams
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Highly motivated, proactive, strong eye for details, persistent and consistent
- Influencing and negotiation experience
What you will get for this role
- Competitive salary dependant on experience
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Vicky Gianre in the Resourcing team on 0117 928 4420.