Graduate Apprentice - Software Engineer, Application Development, Delivery and Maintenance
Salary - Competitive + benefits.
What is a Graduate Apprenticeship?
Get a job, get paid, get qualified. Graduate Apprenticeships offer an alternative to the traditional routes into university education. If you’re working and have the talent and drive to study to Honours degree level or you’d prefer to go into work and study rather than become a full-time student, a Graduate Apprenticeship could be for you.
At Aviva we truly believe new ideas and perspectives are invaluable. We’re looking for individuals with a curious mind, a customer focus and a real passion for technology and software engineering to join us as an Apprentice Software Engineer.
What might a typical day in this job look like?
As a fast paced and growing business, no 2 days will be the same - as well as studying part time, you’ll take on work related projects ranging from web page development, project management and delivery to designing and delivering the latest cloud-based IT solutions to a global customer base.
You’ll liaise with management, contractors and support teams to ensure that IT infrastructure and IT services projects meet customer needs and are delivered on time and to budget. UK travel to Aviva offices and (some) International travel may be required to meet customers and suppliers etc.
Not only will you get to work on challenging projects, you’ll also be working alongside a highly capable and experienced team of IT professionals.
What will I learn?
As an Aviva Graduate Apprentice, you’ll receive all the support you need to help you reach your full potential including on the job training, mentorship and part time study on a day release basis at Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh) or the University of the West of Scotland (Lanarkshire). You’ll work towards an MA Honours Degree in IT Management for Business / Software Development.
What you do in work will also count towards your degree, where you will gain vital industry experience.
You will receive on the job training to do a variety of tasks including:
- Performing value adding governance and quality assurance to ensure customer outcome is delivered to the highest standards
- Defining technical specifications of solutions in accordance with the agreed digital/platform strategy incorporating service fundamentals, security and system performance
- Driving continuous improvement through technical and process innovation o optimise the way we deliver to our customers, promoting ways to leverage business benefit at every opportunity
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate confidence, flexibility, and motivation and be committed to developing yourself to build a long-term career in Aviva.
Desirable Knowledge & Skills
- Natural curiosity, initiative and innovation
- Good verbal and written communication skills for effective interaction with business stakeholders and the wider IT team
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Desire to learn
- A great teammate, networking across the virtual team
- Demonstrates Aviva’s values of care more, kill complexity, never rest and create legacy
What qualification or qualities are required?
- A minimum of four SQA Highers at Grade B (or equivalent) plus Nat 5 English at C. Nat 5 Maths at C is also required if not taken at Higher unless you can show strong technical ability through work experience or extra-curricular activities.
- A Foundation Apprenticeship in a related discipline plus suitable academic qualification similar to the above
- A Modern Apprenticeship in a related discipline (or part way through same)
Applicants will also be considered with other academic, vocational or professional qualifications deemed to be equivalent.
We’re Aviva, the UK’s No.1 insurer and sixth-largest financial services organisation in the world. Our purpose is to Defy Uncertainty for our customers. Our insurance, savings and investment products help some 31 million customers enjoy life today, knowing that tomorrow is covered.
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We support applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose.
What will you get for this role?
- Salary Competitive depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
As a disability confident employer we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability, (As defined in the The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential).
Please apply through the website. and then notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying or if you want to discuss the role before doing so, please contact Ben Dixon in the Resourcing team on 0117 928 3885
For more information about our apprenticeships, visit http://careers.aviva.co.uk/routes-aviva/apprentices or the Scottish Government site https://www.apprenticeships.scot/
We are partnering with 2 universities, have a look at Heriot Watt https://www.hw.ac.uk/business/graduate-apprenticeships.htm and the University of the West of Scotland https://www.uws.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/graduate-apprenticeships/ for all the details on their IT Graduate Apprenticeships