Aviva is revolutionising insurance and we want you to be at the forefront of it.
You’ll be joining Aviva at a really exciting time. We would love you to be a part of building great new innovative ways to engage with new and existing customers, on a portfolio of products that reach out to 17 million customers. It’s never been more important for us to hire fantastic people into our awesome digital teams who sit at the forefront of delivering our strategy.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic person who is passionate about all things web and new technology. You'll be exposed to challenges that typically involve translating creative visions into beautiful implementations and to work closely with a highly skilled team to produce the best solutions possible. We want to speak to you if you are interested in working for a leading company, helping to drive forward the development of its websites. You will need to be confident taking design concepts through to delivery and fruition.
Within Aviva Digital we approach software delivery with an Agile mind-set, focused on delivering small, frequent, value driven enhancements. We achieve this with our scrum teams; which include developers, testers, BAs and Solution Designer; to create brand new experiences, small changes to existing products as well as investing in maintaining our existing products to improve code quality against our core development principles.
- You concentrate on building working software
- Following continuous integration principles (GitFlow)
- If you change code you only ever make it better: Ratchet
- SOLID/KISS principles are followed
- Keep re-use at the forefront of your mind
- Frequently deliver high value features to our customers
- Focus on building great stuff
Essential skills and experience
- Extensive knowledge and experience of HTML5 with a passion for semantics and the use of metadata/microdata
- Expert in the latest CSS standards (including BEM, CSS pre/post processors e.g. SASS/LESS/PostCSS)
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them
- Practical experience of using mobile-first responsive design techniques
- A good level of understanding of source control tools e.g. Git
- Evidenced working knowledge of accessibility and the ability to write code to standards such as WCAG 2
- A passion for problem solving
- Documentation writing skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team within an agile setting
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong portfolio of sites developed by you demonstrating the breadth of your skills
Desirable Knowledge & Skills
- Extracting web elements from Photoshop/Illustrator designs
- Experience with BDD and automated testing e.g. Jasmine, selenium
- Knowledge of site performance and optimisation
- Understanding of SEO principles
- Experience with Adobe Analytics and Target products
What will you get for this role?
- Competitive salary (dependent on skills & experience)
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
We’re here to free people from the fear of uncertainty. Our insurance, savings and investment products help some 31 million customers enjoy life today, knowing that tomorrow is covered. And we definitely know how to look after our own people. If you love doing a great job to improve things for customers, you’ll be at home here. Help us build a future to be proud of and get ready to fulfil your potential with Aviva.
‘Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty’
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Jenny Dao in the Resourcing team on firstname.lastname@example.org