Taunton is the county town of Somerset and has a population of a little over 100,000. It has excellent transport links – the M5 motorway, rail links to London and Penzance and it is 40 minutes from Bristol airport. The UKHO site, which is being redeveloped to provide modern office accommodation, contains a gym and a thriving social scene with an athletics and social club. The UKHO also has the “Mini-Mariners” nursery which caters for children from birth to school age.
About the job
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead our Finance and Corporate Services directorate of approximately 100 FTE, covering finance, procurement, internal controls and assurance, facilities management, security and operational IT.
The Director of Finance and Corporate Services will be instrumental in balancing competing demands and priorities across a range of professional functions and disciplines and leading the transformation of Finance and Corporate Services to drive consistency, collaboration and performance across the department. The post-holder will oversee the development of Finance and Corporate Services into a true business enabler capable of fully supporting the UKHO’s growth by identifying value-creation opportunities, operating efficiently and effectively, managing business performance, providing the right information to the key stakeholders at the right time and being closely involved in strategic discussions.
The Director of Finance and Corporate Services will be a Member of the UKHO’s Executive Committee, delivering inspirational leadership across the organisation, with a particular emphasis on bringing first-class specialist financial expertise and experience to the UKHO’s strategy development, leadership and management.
Specific responsibilities are:
• To be an effective and collaborative member of the UKHO Executive Committee and to play a full role in the overall direction and development of this historic and important organisation;
• To build effective and efficient professional teams and to be responsible for developing the finance skills across the UKHO linking closely into the Head of Finance Profession in the MOD;
• To lead the transformation of the UKHO’s management information (MI), in particular the revenue streams and production planning and to ensure that effective MI is at the heart of decision-making at the UKHO;
• To provide strategic leadership of our internal key performance measures to keep the Chief Executive and the Board advised of performance and development of new performance management arrangements;
• To oversee the UKHO’s financial and other governance, controls and assurance arrangements such as financial budgeting, reporting on financial outturns, controlling payments and managing the UKHO’s internal and external audit arrangements as well as providing input into the main Board and Audit, Risk and Assurance Board;
• To build effective and long-lasting relationships with third parties, in particular, the National Audit Office and Defence Internal Audit teams;
• To oversee production of the UKHO’s annual report and accounts, including key statistics, finance and performance information for presentation to Parliament.