London, Bristol, Perth, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow, Birmingham, York, Eastleigh, Home Based Other, Norwich (Antico - 1st Floor), Dorking, Sheffield
DevOps Junior/Graduate Engineer
The DevOps Engineer is responsible for the defining, creating and running an efficient DevOps lifecycle, including the appropriate tools, environments and processes to enable the deployment of features globally into production both quickly and safely, whilst also ensuring a high availability service that is cost effective and delivered to the IT Business Units. Your primary role will be to continuously innovate and develop our cloud platform using the latest cloud, open source and CI/CD technologies.
This is a great opportunity for a junior engineer or a recent Graduate on Computer Science, Game Programming, Software Engineer or any other Information and Technology Degrees where you've applied Programming.
What you’ll do in more detail
- Development of Aviva’s cloud platform features and enhancements using the approved automation and CI/CD tooling
- Recognise areas for improvement within the cloud platform around automation, CI/CD, and platform reliability.
- Develop a strong culture of technical excellence and solid DevOps skills
- Promote personal growth including experimentation with cloud and new bleeding-edge technologies
- Define and document the standards for other teams to follow when delivering automation and tooling changes
- Outline and support continuous delivery approach including tooling and automated testing and deployments
- Management of all environments including maintaining an evergreen estate.
- Proactively manage environment costs to remain in budget and identify opportunities to reduce cost
- Establish, implement and manage access controls for our environments to keep the business safe
- Identify and implement external perspectives to drive improvements to improve quality, increase resilience and reduce downtime
- Actively communicate with your DevOps Lead to ensure that you are and your team always delivering to the product owners requirements.
- Join sprint planning and retrospectives, and prioritise and manage your work using planning tools e.g. Jira
- Create custom monitoring components to provide deep monitoring of application estate, and integrate ideally to monitoring platforms.
- Manage the uptime of platform systems, and resolve outages (as agreed with cloud operations)
- Safeguard that necessary documentation exists for CloudOps Engineers to resolve P1 incidents on a 24x7 basis
- Ensure core DevOps methodologies are implemented to highest standard across environments.
The successful candidate
To be successful in this role that we need someone who has:
- Relevant technical experience (or degree related experience) in related roles providing technical support or software engineering
- Exposure to at least one programming/scripting language e.g. Python, Ruby, Go, Bash, PowerShell
- Experienced with version control technologies e.g. Subversion or Git
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A highly motivated, proactive, strong eye for details, persistent and consistent with a passion for learning new technologies
- Excellent analytical and documentation skills
- Exposure to configuration management tooling e.g. Puppet, or Ansible
- Knowledge of infrastructure-as-code software e.g. Terraform
- Linux and/or Windows systems administration skills
What you will get for this role
- Salary up to £45,000 dependant on experience
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Vicky Gianre in the Resourcing team on 0117 928 4420