We are looking for Cloud Engineers to join the Development Support Team within our Guidewire Platform to support and maintain the multiple cloud environments.
The role is broad and varied utilising many technologies so we are looking for an individual who may not have all of the skills we seek but is technically savvy and keen to learn. We are looking for a self-starter with a passion for service and for extending their knowledge base as well as technical leadership experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintenance and expansion of automated provisioning and deployment processes.
- AWS Instance Creation (EC2), Configuration, and Maintenance.
- Automating AWS tasks using AWS tools, sdks, cloud formation scripts, command line tools.
- Ensure proper uptime, rollback capabilities, load balancing configuration, database configurations, backups, for all environments.
- Disaster Recovery preparedness with multi-zone and/or multi-region options.
- Communicate with development teams to create new customer builds or environments.
Skills & Experience required:
- Experience with cloud services (ideally AWS), hosting applications and services on Prod and Non Prod.
- A solid understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, and distributed networks).
- Experience with Linux/UNIX systems (essential) and Windows (desirable) and the best practices for deploying applications to those stacks.
- Experience with different databases, including working knowledge of SQL, relational data stores (we use Oracle, MSSQL and Postgresql).
- Familiarity with continuous deployment methodology and common DevOps tools including Git, Jenkins, XLRelease/Deploy, Bladelogic and configuration tools such as Chef, Puppet, Salt, and Ansible.
- A commitment to best practices. We’ll want your opinions on operational processes, DevOps, deployment checklists, and more.
- Experience of working within the IT function of a large corporate environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to communicate with customers, vendors and partners, and across all levels of the organisation.
- You like being part of a team and enjoy working with other engineers.
- You’re a great communicator and are capable of not just doing the work, but teaching others and explaining the “why” behind complicated technical decisions.
- You’re open to good ideas, wherever they come from.
- You aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves: This role will evolve over time, and we’ll want you to evolve with it!
- Knowledge of APIs. You can design RESTful services and integrate with other data providers, and you know when to use JSON or XML.
- Knowledge of Database services in Cloud.
- Knowledge of scripting languages, including Bash, Python, Ruby, etc.
- Knowledge of Web application stacks, including Apache/Tomcat, Websphere, etc.
- Experience with application load balancing solutions for scaling and High Availability.
Salary: £30,650 - £59,050 – dependent on skills & experience.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Melissa Sommerville in the Resourcing team.