The Implementation Unit
A key function of an effective Civil Service is ensuring that policy decisions Ministers have taken are implemented and deliver for the end user. The Implementation Unit (IU) provides support and challenge to departments as they implement the highest priorities of the Prime Minister.
The IU tracks delivery of the Government’s programme on the Prime Minister’s behalf. We help plan and monitor delivery across a wide range of policy areas, including issues such as Welfare, Housing, Immigration, Extremism, Crime & Justice, Healthcare, Education and Energy. We use a mixture of frontline intelligence gathered through deep-dives, alongside examination of performance data, to challenge delivery plans and overcome barriers to successful implementation.
As a senior leader within the Cabinet Office, you will also be expected to play a full part in the overall leadership of the department, including building strong working partnerships with other parts of the Cabinet Office. Working collaboratively at all levels across Whitehall is an essential part of this job.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to learn how policy and decisions are made at the centre. The work will be broad and varied, offering the chance to extend your knowledge across a very wide range of issues, and to build your networks at a senior level across the Civil Service.
The roles will involve extensive contact with ministers and senior officials and close working with NO 10 and HMT.
The post holder will be responsible for:
• Tracking delivery of the Government’s programme on home affairs, migration, extremism, defence and a range of other areas.
• Supporting Ministerial Implementation Task Forces in these areas, working collaboratively with departments to ensure Task Forces have the information they need to take the right decisions at the right time to drive delivery.
• Conducting reviews as necessary to unblock barriers to implementation.
• Managing your team to deliver against these objectives in a way that empowers staff to give their best and gives everyone the space to develop: the IU takes learning and development very seriously.
• As a member of the Group’s senior leadership team, taking responsibility for overall Group leadership, setting the vision and priorities for the Group and contributing to the broader corporate leadership of the Cabinet Office.
In your application you will need to demonstrate how you meet the following essential competencies, skills and experience:
• The personal presence, effectiveness and credibility to operate at a very senior level across Whitehall, with a proven track
record of working closely with Ministers and senior stakeholders;
• The ability to work at pace in a complex multi-stakeholder environment, driving progress in the face of a range of
competing views and priorities;
• Highly developed policy and strategic analysis skills that can be deployed flexibly across a wide range of business;
• Highly developed communication, networking and negotiation skills;
• Proven ability to lead and develop a high performing team. We would expect to find a candidate who can also demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of frontline delivery;
• Knowledge of microeconomics.
4 months ago
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
The Implementation Unit