About the job
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the Government’s policy agenda on data and cyber security, taking forward a significant programme of work to ensure that health and social care organisations proactively mitigate the threat relating to data and cyber security and measurably improve overall resilience.
As Deputy Director for Cyber Security, you will have leadership and responsibility for overseeing the £200m programme to improve data and cyber security resilience, and adjusting the focus as new risks emerge. You will work across Her Majesty's Government to ensure the development of credible and effective government policy and assure effective programme delivery of a cyber security programme across Arms Length Bodies (ALBs).
You will lead the system response to high profile data and cyber security incidents, working with the National Cyber Security Centre and ALBs whilst mitigating any emerging data and cyber security threats, being flexible and responsive in adapting the delivery programme.
You will build and maintain excellent relationships with other government departments and our ALBs to ensure delivery of both new and existing commitments, challenging effectively and holding to account where necessary. You will lead a high performing team who are based across the departments London and Leeds sites whose work will have a significant impact on colleagues across Whitehall, in the NHS and Arm’s Length Bodies and with data and cyber security stakeholders. You should be confident at building on these key relationships and using them as a lever to deliver the departmental priorities.
The role will require significant personal judgement to:
• Manage significant cyber incidents effectively;
• Prioritise and adjust the focus based on emerging threats, local intelligence and ongoing live incidents;
• Balance the interests and views of the wide ranging stakeholders to prepare high quality advice and proposals for Ministers;
• Oversee delivery, working effectively with ALBs, and respond swiftly as new risks emerge.
Key Responsibilities to include:
• Leading and motivating a high-performing team across Leeds and London;
• Leading the development of data and cyber security policy and delivery;
• Leading the delivery of existing priority commitments:
1. Ensuring the programme is successful in delivering the 10 Data Security Standards;
2. Working with ALB’s to deliver a cross system implementation plan including delivery of agreed Chief Information Officer (CIO) Review recommendations;
3. Developing and agreeing across the system a strategic plan for 2018-21 to utilise additional funding secured.
As a key member of the Directorate’s senior leadership team, you will be expected to play an active role in the on-going corporate management and development of the organisation. We expect all our senior leaders to be:
• Inspiring – about our work and its future
• Confident – in our engagement with others
• Empowering – to allow our teams to deliver
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate success in the following areas:
• A strong corporate and team leader, confident in both people and thought leadership, with the ability to empower and motivate others in a dynamic environment, with an engaging, adaptable, leadership style;
• Excellent commercial and financial insight, with proven ability to seek out efficiency and value for money;
• Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills, with the credibility and ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders across organizational boundaries and evidence of a collaborative approach;
• Good knowledge and understanding of HM Government coupled with an ability to confidently navigate Whitehall, capable of drawing upon and establishing networks;
• An ability to cope and be resilient under pressure, and to be responsive to new risks and emerging priorities;
• An understanding or experience of programme management principles and ability to effectively drive delivery;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with a proven ability to present complex issues simply and effectively.
Some technical knowledge may be an advantage but it is not essential. This is a Policy Delivery and Leadership role.