We are seeking to appoint a conscientious and enthusiastic individual, to join an award winning Catering team, to assist with the busy lunch service at School. The Catering team produces approximately 800 hot/cold meals each day for pupils and staff, which are served over the lunch period from 12 noon through to 1.15pm. The candidate will preferably have former experience in a busy commercial kitchen.
Job Title: Commis Chef
Reporting to: Executive Chef/ supervised by Sous Chef
Hours of work: 7.00am - 3.20pm (Inc. 20-minute unpaid break),
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Holidays: 18 Weeks of School holiday per year.
- To assist the Sous-chef and Executive Chef with food preparation and food production in a high-volume kitchen.
- To work as part of a team to raise food quality and professional service standards and to observe all health, hygiene and safety regulations based on HAACP procedures.
- To be rigorous in setting up and cleaning work stations and to carry out any additional cleaning duties.
- To dispose of all waste and recyclable material on a "clean as you go' basis.
- To help check and put away all food deliveries.
- To attend to any additional task and responsibilities as required by the Sous-chef, Executive Chef and Management.
- To comply with food safety, health & hygiene requirements and follow the HACCP process.
- All staff share the responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of the pupils in accordance with the School's Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy.
- A courteous attitude when dealing with staff members, parents and students.
- An ability to work quickly and professionally under pressure and meet short deadlines.
- A sound temperament and a helpful, positive attitude.
- Punctuality and a strong work ethic.
- Some flexibility in working hours to help deliver both catering and hospitality events.
- Previous experience on hot food stations (sauté, grill) in a high volume kitchen is preferred but not essential.
- Culinary qualifications or documented kitchen apprenticeship/ formal training will be viewed favourably.
- LOVE OF COOKING ESSENTIAL!
- Willing to observe a timely work schedule and be neat and professional in appearance. Maintain a positive attitude with students, staff and guests. He/ she will be amenable to overtime requests.
- Fluent enough to be able to work well in an English speaking environment.
- Dedicated and willing to join the team as a fully participating member.
- Committed to the prompt provision and efficient service of all hospitality requests to the satisfaction of the Sous-chef and Executive Chef.
- Willing to ensure all applicable food safety, health and hygiene procedures are followed.
- Willing to foster a friendly, respectful working environment among all staff. Report any incidents of concern immediately to the Executive Chef.
- Diligently record all time/ temperature records from delivery through storage, cooking and disposal.
- Ready to attend to any reasonable request of Management.
- Committed to the school's Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy.
- A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Pay and benefits
- Rate of pay, from September 2018: £10.25 - £10.66 per hour depending on experience.
- Hours: 7.00am - 3.20pm (including a 20-minute unpaid break), Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week during term-time only (34 Weeks per year0.
- There is the option for the employee to benefit from a free school lunch during their unpaid 20-minute break.
- Paid statutory holiday entitlement of 5.6 weeks per annum pro-rata, to be taken during the School Holidays.
- Employees may join a stakeholder pension scheme. The School currently matches contributions up to 6% of gross salary.
- There is free car parking on site. When supervised employees may use the fully equipped gymnasium on site.
ACT NOW: Press The Apply button to apply.
Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we can only respond to applicants with relevant work experience.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.